As I began publishing Amazon Kindle books, I learned a lot about properly formatting books so that they appear great on e-readers. Having a clickable table of contents that links to each chapter is a great way to simplify the reading process for your readers. Rather than having to scroll through hundreds of pages to get to a different page, they can quickly click through the table of contents! So here is how to do it. Watch the video here:
If you don’t like watching my videos, here are the quick steps to creating your dynamic table of contents:
- STEP 1: Go to each chapter title & turn the text into a ‘heading syle’
- Using styles in Microsoft Word can be done via the Quick Styles Gallery in the Home toolbar
- Apply a style you like like or create a custom one
- STEP 2: Insert your table of contents.
- This can be done by just writing a list of chapters. Or under the References toolbar, click the Table of Contents button.
- STEP 3: Hyperlink your table of contents. Note: if you chose to insert an automatic table of contents rather than just list our your chapters, it will automatically link to your chapters.
- Otherwise, select the text for each chapter in your custom made table of content
- select document, then locate
- under headings, choose the heading for the corresponding chapter
See! That wasn’t so hard! As you can see, in the video I show you one way to do it. But you can also use the automatic table of contents creator to do it quickly!
Have a better way to do it? Share it in the comments below!
Keep Rocking and Rolling!